- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 540ml canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 796 ml diced tomatoes
- 400 ml light coconut milk
- 5oz baby spinach
- 14oz sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add a tablespoon of water to a pot along with the onion, salt and pepper. Sauté on medium heat until the onion has become translucent, add in the garlic and ginger and mix well. After a minute add in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red pepper flakes stir well and cook for another minute.
- Pour in the chickpeas, diced tomatoes, sweet potato and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium simmer and cover. Cook for 25 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
- Turn off the heat and very carefully give the curry a few mashes using a potato masher, you don't want everything mashed.
- Add in the spinach, stir a few times and allow the spinach to wilt.
This recipe makes 5 servings, each serving roughly 1 1/3 cups. I like to serve this curry with a side of basmati rice.